Clash of the spellings: Armor vs. Armour

Knowing the difference between these two words can make you a stronger writer – at least in the grammar arena.

Armor is a protective covering worn by knights and other warriors. It also can refer to tanks in modern warfare. This is the preferred spelling in American English.

Armour means exactly the same things but is standard in British English. The split in spellings between the two sides of the Atlantic dates to the 1800s.

One easy way to remember which spelling is which is that in the United Kingdom – which begins with a U – a u appears in the word.


My name is Rob Bignell. I’m an affordable, professional editor who runs Inventing Reality Editing Service, which meets the manuscript needs of writers both new and published. I also offer a variety of self-publishing services. During the past decade, I’ve helped more than 300 novelists and nonfiction authors obtain their publishing dreams at reasonable prices. I’m also the author of the 7 Minutes a Day… writing guidebooks, four nonfiction hiking guidebook series, and the literary novel Windmill. Several of my short stories in the literary and science fiction genres also have been published.